Welcome to Foodie Friday! Today, I am going talk to you about, Ezekiel Bread. The kind I buy is the whole grain kind. There are other varieties, but this is the one I chose to start with. This is my first time trying this bread. This is not a paid post.
First let me start by saying this is not the most delicious bread I have ever eaten. Matter of fact it isn’t delicious much at all. So, if flavor is super important to you, this particular bread may not work. This bread is also the first Organic bread I have tried. No one else will eat this but me, lol, at my house.
So, why did I buy this bread? There are several reasons, and they are listed below.
- I follow a low sodium diet. Most sandwich bread, or rolls, has at least 140mg of sodium per slice. So just the bread for a sandwich, would have at least 280mg of sodium. So, I stopped eating bread, for the most part. With Summer coming, and it is brutal in Florida, we don’t cook a lot with the stove or oven. That means sandwiches are on the menu. If I toast this bread, I like it even more, and it makes a nice sandwich for me. One slice of this Ezekiel bread has only 75mg of sodium.
- I like that it is Organic, very low fat, low gylcemic index, good amount of Iron, and Fiber per serving.
There are some downfalls, though.
1. Besides flavor, this bread is kind of high in Phosphorus, 8% per slice. So, one sandwich and I am at 16% for the day, and that percentage is for someone who does not have CKD. So, I have to make sure I am paying attention to other Phosphorus I may get throughout the day.
2. It is not cheap, but I don’t find most of the non Organic good breads are cheap either. I can remember when bread was .25, that is how old I am, lol.
3. It has to stay refrigerated. This is a pain for me, because it is just one more thing taking up space in the fridge, but I deal with it.
4. Because it is Organic, with no preservatives, it has a much shorter shelf life. In the Summer months this will not be an issue, because like I said we eat sandwiches. But, I probably will not buy this in the Winter months, because I just won’t eat it fast enough. Which brings me to the last point. We live in Florida. We get hurricanes, and even without a hurricane, losing power is always possible. As such, we have had to evacuate once, in the 15 years we have lived here. We had no power for a week. This bread would most likely not survive that, as I wouldn’t be able to refrigerate it, without a generator. I will be doing a post, probably next week about disaster preparation, for people with CKD. I did one before, on my homeschool blog, but it needs updating, and lots of new info learned. I can tell you there is not a lot of Organic foods I can stock pile due to shelf life. So, that has to be kept in mind.
You can read the rest of the info about Ezekiel Bread, by looking at the images below.
If you would like to learn about products that are better options for any illness you might have, read food labels, resources, tips etc, to help you meet your health goals, use the contact form below the pics, to message me. Initial meeting is via email, and free.